Monday 25 May 2020

A change of name, and a change of direction

I started this blog a few years back, largely to keep a record of my own studies in Welsh, and to record my thoughts about my own learning. I didn't write very much, but I have been learning Welsh, largely though Say Something in Welsh, but also by using Duolingo and by reading. I've also attended several one day courses at the London Welsh Centre as well as twice having visited Nant Gwrtheyrn, the Welsh National Language Centre for five-day immersive courses. I still have a long way to go, but in many situations I am 'functionally fluent' in Welsh now.

A few weeks ago I was speaking to my son while walking the dogs. He is considering doing a Masters' degree, and I confided to him that I had long had a hankering to do a Masters in Celtic Studies. There is one provided online by Lampeter University. However, I really can't justify spending £8K on a course for which I have no need. I'm retired, while it would be interesting I don't need a Masters' degree. My son said, "that doesn't stop you studying what interests you, though, does it?" I realised that yes, I can study what I want, I can plan my own course, and end up in much the same place. No, I won't have an expensive piece of paper, but I don't need that, I will know what I have learned, and I will know what journey I have made. I began to work out what I wanted to do. I am planning to study Celtic Studies, with a very strong emphasis on Welsh Studies, including Welsh Language and Welsh Literature. I am including some Research Methods because if I were studying for an MA that would be a fairly large chunk of the material. To that end I am currently following a four week Coursera course, and I have purchased some books for further reading. I don't expect to cover as much as I would if I were following the Lampeter course, but it will give me a grounding in Research Methods, and frankly, I'm unlikely to do any research myself as part of my studying.

I won't have anyone marking my homework, but that doesn't mean that I shouldn't do any homework, or write any notes. I have done enough studying over the years to know that I can direct my own learning. My notes will appear here, so that I can access all of them in the same place should I need them.

When I studied Linguistics back in the early 1980s we had to study "the Structure of English" and also the structure of another language. I got Hindi. The year above me were doing Welsh, so I attended their lectures as well, and learned a bit about Welsh. The aim wasn't to learn the language, but to understand how it worked, and how it compared to other languages.

As I am studying Celtic Culture, History and Languages I intend to find out something about the Structure of some Celtic Languages - at least, of those languages that I find most interesting: Breton, Cornish and Manx. I am starting with Breton.

I will also study: History and Origins of the Celts; the History of Wales; Welsh Culture; Welsh Literature; Welsh Folklore and Mythology; Welsh Folklife and Industries. Alongside of this I intend to continue to improve my Welsh, and to read some modern Welsh books, even if they are not exactly 'literature'! I will also need to revise and upgrade my Linguistics knowledge, because although I have continued to have an interest in it since I took my degree, that is now rather a long time ago!

If you are someone who has found your way to this blog, and you are interested in Celtic Studies, then welcome. If you know something about the topics I'm addressing, and you spot an error I've made, then please let me know. I'm always happy to know if I've made a mistake, because I can then correct it, and I will then know more.

No comments:

Post a Comment