Saturday 11 March 2017

"Welsh in a Year" Jen Llywellyn

Welsh in a Year!

I've just started to read this book, it's a way of motivating myself, reading about someone achieving the goal of speaking Welsh helps me to focus on my own goal.

What do I like about the book?
  • the diary entries
  • the learner of the month
  • book of the month
  • website of the month
  • history (although I know most of the history, having ready many books on Wales, Welsh, Welsh history, Welsh literature, etc. over the years) 
  • some of the tips, etc.
What I'm a bit less keen on:
  • I didn't like the conversations 'Welsh Workshop' and 'Coffee Time' much at first.  They aren't terrible, and there is information in there for the complete beginner I thought that I probably knew most of the stuff already.  However, it's grown on me, I find that I'm remembering things from the supposed conversations.
What is less relevant to me:
  •  The glossary sections. I have dictionaries, I have a lot of Welsh vocabulary in my head already, it's the grammar rules and pronunciation that I lack.
One story resonated with me, the one about going back to where she had first become aware of Welsh, only to find that the farmhouse was abandoned, and the area was a caravan park - the Welsh had ebbed away like a tide going out.

Would I recommend it?  Yes, it's a useful book for beginners, and to motivate you to carry on. 

In fact, this blog is my attempt to do the same for myself, to structure my learning, and to have somewhere to put my notes.

No comments:

Post a Comment