Monday 29 October 2018

Treigladau

I need a chart of the mutations, with some basic notes so that I can find them quickly when I'm on the Internet. I've got them in grammar books, but if I want to remind myself of something then it will be useful to have a copy on the Internet.
















A useful chart of the names and pronunciations of the Welsh alphabet HERE.

MUTATIONS (to be added to as I find time)

Soft Mutations 
  • After personal pronounds dy (your), ei/ i (his/him) i'w (to his):
       dy + car > dy gar
       ei + tŷ    > ei dŷ
       i'w + tŷ  > i'w dŷ

  • feminine singular nouns after the definite article (except those beginning with ll or rh):
       y + cath > y gath

  • adjectives after feminine singular nouns:
       y + cath + mawr > y gath fawr

.. to be continued...

Nasal Mutations

Nouns and verb-nouns after fy (my)










Nouns after yn (in)











With the words blynedd (years), blwydd (year) and diwrnod (day)
after:
pum (five)
saith (seven)
wyth (eight)
naw (nine)
deg/ deng (ten)
deuddeg/ deuddeng (twelve)
pymtheg/ pymtheng (fifteen)
deunaw (eighteen)
ugain (twenty) (and compound forms)
can (hundred)

EXAMPLES

pum mlynedd
saith niwrnod
ugain mlynedd

Aspirate Mutations

  • nouns and verb-nous after ei/ 'i (her), i'w (to her)
       ei + car > ei char
       i'w + tŷ  > i'w thŷ 

  •  nouns, verb-nous and verbs after a (and)
         te + a + coffi > te a choffi


... to be continued ...

Aspirate H









No comments:

Post a Comment